Tuesday 9 December 2014

2014 RETROSPECTIVE - DAY 9

SPRING OFFENSIVE - YOUNG ANIMAL HEARTS



Revisiting this album now, I cannot help but approach Young Animal Hearts with more than a twinge of sadness. In the last month Spring Offensive have gone on what I will optimistically describe as an indefinite hiatus; it still seems quite hard to stomach that a band with such talent are unable to continue sharing that talent with us. While Young Animal Hearts would've featured in this retrospective regardless of the recent context, there is an added poignancy that colours my perception of it.

There is ample evidence of excellent songcraft to be found here, from the undeniable 'Bodylifting' to the jaunty, direct 'Speak'. There is also a dignified maturity in the lyrical content, perhaps most succinctly communicated in tracks like 'Young Animal Hearts' and 'Cut The Root'. The qualities I've mentioned can be found in droves on this record, but the thing that will stay with me is the image nestled right in the middle of the album, at the end of 'The River': "as the water rose around my knees, I found myself smiling". This coda is built up and repeated, until all instrumentation cuts out and only the voice remains. This is my lasting image of Spring Offensive: beautiful, transient, haunting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment